There are currently 105 stubs. You can help us by expanding these articles!
The Legend of Zelda (series)
- This article is a stub. You can help Triforce Wiki by .
|The Legend of Zelda|
|First installment||The Legend of Zelda (1986)|
|Latest installment||The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)|
|Number of installments||25 (18 direct, 7 remakes and ports)|
The Legend of Zelda is a series of action-adventure games that stars a character named Link. It is the main and titular component of the overall The Legend of Zelda franchise, and most of its games are developed by Nintendo. The Legend of Zelda series began in 1986 with the release of The Legend of Zelda. Games in the series are often developed in tandem with a game in the Super Mario series, and therefore share a similar development team. Many of the earlier The Legend of Zelda titles are two-dimensional and primarily consist of a top-down perspective, although they sometimes have side-scrolling segments. The three-dimensional installments are shown from a third-person perspective.
The Legend of Zelda series' gameplay focuses on combat and puzzle-solving mechanics. The combat in the 2D games often is about the player using their Sword and other items to hit enemies, while the 3D games also often have specific sword-based moves and targeting systems. The puzzle solving often requires the player to use items to manipulate the level. The player often has to retrieve items to progress such as the Triforce, and in order to get the items the player often has to go through dungeons, large levels that often revolve around a theme. Most dungeons give the player a new item which the dungeon is themed after, and the player often has to retrieve Small Keys to progress and Boss Keys to face the boss. Before and after the dungeons the player often has to interact with NPCs, which often give the player side-quests. The player can often collect Rupees, which can be exchanged for goods. Certain games allow for a larger amount of exploration then others. By exploring and completing side-quests the player is often rewarded with Heart Containers, although this can vary per game.
- Main article: List of games
- The Legend of Zelda (1986)
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1987)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (2001)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (2001)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002)
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (2002)
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2004)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2005)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007)
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009)
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (2015)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)